Today is a big day for Foodstander, Michael Halle. Michael is Hillary Clinton’s Caucus Director, and as you know, the Iowa Caucuses take place tonight! He has been living in Iowa for the last year, running the show for Former Secretary Clinton. It goes without saying that he has been quite busy lately, but the man has to eat, right? Michael let us pick his brain about what fuels the folks at Hillary for America, and shared some of his best Iowa food finds.
The Top 5 Spots in IA:
1. Proof, Des Moines — chef-owned and driven with an amazing wine program.
2. B&B Grocery, Meat & Deli, Des Moines — local dive with amazing sandwiches and hand cut steaks/beef/pork.
3. Atlas, Iowa City — a classic.
4. Fuel Nest, Mt. Vernon — best coffeeshop in Iowa.
5. NewBo City Market, Cedar Rapids — the Iowa version of Chelsea Market (at least it’s trying to be!).
Weird / Unique finds:
Archie’s in Le Mars has an amazing wine list.
Tenderloin sandwiches (an Iowa staple): flattened and fried pork loin served on a bun with pickles, onions, and mustard — see Smitty’s Tenderloin Shop.
John’s Grocery in Iowa City — great wine and beer at amazing discount rates.
Toppling Goliath Brewing Co. in Decorah — it will become a big national microbrewery. Fantastic IPA and special releases.
The Mangalista pork chop at 801 Chophouse.
La Quercia Cured Meats. It has national recognition and is still amazing.
+ Healthy Stuff
- Did you know the Des Moines Farmers Market was voted one of the top 15 farmers markets in the country in 2015? It is a scene every Saturday during the summer.
- And, there are roadside stands everywhere with local produce during summer!